Tuesday, June 19, 2012

About blogging and vintage things

This blog is something I have thought about a lot and for a long time. I have knit for quite some time and as more and more people have started up their own blogs, I have also felt the pull to do so myself. Writing about knitting feels natural as it's something not everyone does but what I do a lot.

Recently I have been very into vintage knitting. I'm not sure where it started, but pretty early on I saw Susan Crawford's A Stitch in Time books that have vintage knitting patterns rewritten with more sizes and more understandable directions. I really fell in love with those books with all their pretty patterns and pictures. For last Christmas I got the A Stitch in Time vol. 2 from my boyfriend. It's been a regular leaf-through ever since, and I have also knitted some garments from it, for example the rose jumper of the last entry.

A few weeks back I was staying at my grandparents house for a night. I went through the knitting and other handicrafts supplies there, as there was a lot of real treasures there as you can imagine. There was a whole bucketful of buttons and it took me hours to go through all of them. But it was all good fun, and my mother really enjoyed it too, as she remembered most of the buttons from her childhood, having played with them. The best part is that I have already found use for some of the buttons. It is so great, having real vintage buttons! And they don't even have to be on a vintage sweaters, not all buttons have really even changed that much. Right now, I am knitting a bright green collared jacket and among the buttons I took from my grandmother's stash are just the perfect ones, they are of perfect shape, size and colour. It's almost too good to be true!

I also found some vintage knitting magazines at my grandparents house. I took a few back home. It was so fun to leaf through them as some of them were from the 50's, others from 70's and 80's. I noticed that crocheted peter pan collars that are quite hot right now have also been in style in the 60's. I think it's kind of funny how fashion is nothing but recycling. My uncle has had long legged tennis shoes today worn by all teenagers in his teens in the early 60's.

Buttons

The perfect buttons for my jacket to be




No comments:

Post a Comment