Saturday, April 20, 2013

More dyed yarn, mittens and socks

I have been dyeing some more yarn yesterday and the day before and am writing now to show you what I made. First we have 400 meters of fingering weight, formerly white, now a semi-solid yellow, called daffodils.

Daffodils
This one I dyed not using Kool-aid but just regular yellow food coloring in different concentrations. To get a darker tone, I should have kept it on the stove for a longer time, but I am actually quite pleased with the beautiful light yellow I got. It's very springlike, now that we are finally in a season you can actually call spring.

I also embellished an older dye job with the same yellow food coloring. Here are the before and after pictures of summer sorbet:


Summer sorbet
So what I did was basically just dip the light, almost white parts in warm water in which I'd added yellow food coloring and citric acid. I'm glad I did, I really love the yarn now.

I also dyed another sport weight skein, this one with Kool-aid. I mixed orange and grape in different concentrations to get the browns and the orange, and ice blue raspberry lemonade and orange to get the dark yellow. The brighter yellow is peach mango. I am so in love with this skein, it is called ripe wheat.

Ripe wheat
I also finished a pair of mittens for my boyfriend's aunt's 50th birthday. I am quite pleased how they turned out, I hope she will like them, too.


Of course I have also starter a new pair of socks. You may have noticed that I have not yet participated in the April sockdown, so this pair is for that. These socks are going to be quite warm, as I am knitting sport weight with 2.25 needles. The pattern is Margaritaville by Adrienne Fong. Below is a picture of the beginning of the first sock.


1 comment:

  1. your blog is lovely! can i offer some constructive criticism on those mittens? theyre beautiful, but can you see how the pattern on the left mitten changes halfway up, and the black becomes more dominant? and the same thing happens toward the top of the right mitten but the black becomes less dominant? have a read of some tutorials out there on colour dominance in stranded colourwork and it should all make more sense :)

    ReplyDelete